From: Georg Witwer <lokisan99@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Restaffing the 11th Userrep seat
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2006 11:08:25
1 On 12/2/06, Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au> wrote:
2
3 > My only concern is that if this process gets abused, a majority of
4 > userreps could expel a minority and handpick their replacements to match
5 > their own ideas... but then again, this isn't a money / power
6 > controlling seat, so I counter myself with "would that really ever
7 > happen"? and "so what if it did"?!
8 >
9 > I see that on http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/userrel/userreps/index.xml
10 > members are elected each year? In which case I think my above concern
11 > would be even less a reality, as ousted members could raise support for
12 > the next election anyway.
13 >
14 > However, perhaps you should have a short policy for election and
15 > replacement of members, so that if you ever are questioned, at least you
16 > can say "We did it by the book".
17
18 We as Userreps can only get rid of one of us if that person breaches
19 the social contact that can be read on our project site, And if we
20 would dismiss someone we would declare ourself quite thoroughly to the
21 community and to Userrel too. But as Bo mentioned in the post above,
22 it was Userrels decision. Antarus promised to post an announcement to
23 this ML today.
24
25 > > Building up a team with people that hardly know each other is not an
26 > > easy task. It took us quite some time to get to know each other and to
27 > > find a way to work somehow efficiently together. We are different to
28 > > any other project in Gentoo land because we did not pick our team by
29 > > ourself, but let others, you the user community, choose our team.
30 > > That's the way it has to be of course but it's a handicap,
31 > > nevertheless.
32 >
33 > But keeping variety is essential, especially for gentoo. I doubt adding
34 > one unknown member to the team will throw you all back to the days when
35 > you didn't know each other. That one new member will more quickly get
36 > to know the group (and vice versa) than the time a whole new group would
37 > take. So perhaps the "next on the list" is a good idea?
38
39 You are right about that. But keeping in mind that this might not be
40 the only loss to our group in the next year (some of the userreps have
41 not been too active, ie.) and if we have to keep on picking up people
42 that haven't shown any interest in the project so far, it will slow us
43 down.
44
45 I think it would be fair to let us choose any substitute within the
46 term, because a year really passes by fast and all of us will be
47 judged on our work at the next election anyhow.
48
49 > However, it seems like djay-il deserves a bit of recognition for his
50 > efforts, and placing him in the position would do that.
51 >
52 > So, I've said both yes and no! In the end, I guess the decision is up
53 > to the team what method they choose.
54 >
55 Thanks, for your opinion. :)
56 --
57 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list