From: Iain Buchanan <iaindb@××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Restaffing the 11th Userrep seat
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2006 01:27:39
1 On Fri, 2006-12-01 at 13:12 +0100, Georg Witwer wrote:
2 ...
3 > So I am here to ask your support to make djay our 11th member on the
4 > next Userreps/Userrel meeting this Saturday...
5
6 My only concern is that if this process gets abused, a majority of
7 userreps could expel a minority and handpick their replacements to match
8 their own ideas... but then again, this isn't a money / power
9 controlling seat, so I counter myself with "would that really ever
10 happen"? and "so what if it did"?!
11
12 I see that on http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/userrel/userreps/index.xml
13 members are elected each year? In which case I think my above concern
14 would be even less a reality, as ousted members could raise support for
15 the next election anyway.
16
17 However, perhaps you should have a short policy for election and
18 replacement of members, so that if you ever are questioned, at least you
19 can say "We did it by the book".
20
21 > Building up a team with people that hardly know each other is not an
22 > easy task. It took us quite some time to get to know each other and to
23 > find a way to work somehow efficiently together. We are different to
24 > any other project in Gentoo land because we did not pick our team by
25 > ourself, but let others, you the user community, choose our team.
26 > That's the way it has to be of course but it's a handicap,
27 > nevertheless.
28
29 But keeping variety is essential, especially for gentoo. I doubt adding
30 one unknown member to the team will throw you all back to the days when
31 you didn't know each other. That one new member will more quickly get
32 to know the group (and vice versa) than the time a whole new group would
33 take. So perhaps the "next on the list" is a good idea?
34
35 However, it seems like djay-il deserves a bit of recognition for his
36 efforts, and placing him in the position would do that.
37
38 So, I've said both yes and no! In the end, I guess the decision is up
39 to the team what method they choose.
40
41 cya,
45 When you say that you agree to a thing in principle, you mean that
46 you have not the slightest intention of carrying it out in practice.
47 -- Otto Von Bismarck
50 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list