From: Georg Witwer <lokisan99@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Restaffing the 11th Userrep seat
Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2006 12:16:58
1 As you might have noticed or heard, cokehabit isn't part of the
2 Userreps project any longer. He and Userel obviously didn't get along
3 very well and there has been some troubles on IRC and on bugzilla,
4 which I didn't get a chance to see though. But I talked shortly with
5 cokehabit about it and he didn't object to leave the project, so we
6 have a vacant Userreps seat atm.
7
8 Since this is the first time that one of us left, we have to find a
9 rule on how we are to restaff that vacant seat. Impov, there are three
10 different options that we have. We could either go thru the whole
11 voting process again, which seem to be quite some work and would
12 definitely need some time or we could simply ask the ones that where
13 next on the list from the initial vote, to see if they are still
14 interested in doing the job or we let the appointed Userreps decide
15 who they want to have in their team to work with.
16
17 Even though the voting idea seems to be the logical thing to do, at
18 least to me when I thought about it first, it's the option I really
19 don't want to have and almost everyone from Userreps/Userrel agrees on
20 this point. It would just take to much time and effort, since we don't
21 want the mistakes of the first vote be repeated, like having better
22 announcements and getting the whole user community not just forum
23 peeps to vote.
24
25 Picking the next one on the list that shows interest, is an option
26 that doesn't take much time and seems to be fair since they have
27 proven to have the support in the user community at the first vote.
28
29 The third option is to let us Userreps pick someone we know and that
30 has shown interest in our project. And plainly spoken, this is the
31 option I favor the most, as does the rest of Userreps and Userrel.
32 Here is why:
33
34 Building up a team with people that hardly know each other is not an
35 easy task. It took us quite some time to get to know each other and to
36 find a way to work somehow efficiently together. We are different to
37 any other project in Gentoo land because we did not pick our team by
38 ourself, but let others, you the user community, choose our team.
39 That's the way it has to be of course but it's a handicap,
40 nevertheless.
41
42 Since the whole project was started there has only been one user, who
43 also ran for Userreps btw, that followed our moves very closely. He
44 is in our channel (#gentoo-userreps) almost all the time, he takes
45 part in all our and userrel meetings, he is well known and respected
46 in the devs community, he made lots of useful suggestion and took the
47 time to write various concepts for his ideas, all of us Userreps value
48 him and his opinion quite high and we get along with him very well.
49
50 After the 11th seat got vacant, there wasn't really any discussion
51 about it since it was obvious that we all wanted to have
52 [url=http://forums.gentoo.org/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=105924]djay[/url]
53 (aka djay-il [irc] aka Alex Bogak [rl]) as our new team member. Most
54 of the devs believed that he was a Userrep anyways because he showed
55 up at all the meetings and actively took part in all the discussions.
56 :lol: And Userrel also seems to strongly agree with this idea.
57
58 So I am here to ask your support to make djay our 11th member on the
59 next Userreps/Userrel meeting this Saturday. He knows his way around
60 and we know him quite well and he would fit just perfect in our team.
61 If you want us to move on, to do the things we were voted for as fast
62 as possible, please show us your support by dropping a few lines. If
63 you think that this is not ok, please drop us a few lines to explain
64 why.
65 --
66 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list