From: Daniel Iliev <danny@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Restaffing the 11th Userrep seat
Date: Sat, 02 Dec 2006 16:45:52
1 Georg Witwer wrote:
2 > As you might have noticed or heard, cokehabit isn't part of the
3 > Userreps project any longer. He and Userel obviously didn't get along
4 > very well and there has been some troubles on IRC and on bugzilla,
5 > which I didn't get a chance to see though. But I talked shortly with
6 > cokehabit about it and he didn't object to leave the project, so we
7 > have a vacant Userreps seat atm.
8 >
9 > Since this is the first time that one of us left, we have to find a
10 > rule on how we are to restaff that vacant seat. Impov, there are three
11 > different options that we have. We could either go thru the whole
12 > voting process again, which seem to be quite some work and would
13 > definitely need some time or we could simply ask the ones that where
14 > next on the list from the initial vote, to see if they are still
15 > interested in doing the job or we let the appointed Userreps decide
16 > who they want to have in their team to work with.
17 >
18 > Even though the voting idea seems to be the logical thing to do, at
19 > least to me when I thought about it first, it's the option I really
20 > don't want to have and almost everyone from Userreps/Userrel agrees on
21 > this point. It would just take to much time and effort, since we don't
22 > want the mistakes of the first vote be repeated, like having better
23 > announcements and getting the whole user community not just forum
24 > peeps to vote.
25 >
26 > Picking the next one on the list that shows interest, is an option
27 > that doesn't take much time and seems to be fair since they have
28 > proven to have the support in the user community at the first vote.
29 >
30 > The third option is to let us Userreps pick someone we know and that
31 > has shown interest in our project. And plainly spoken, this is the
32 > option I favor the most, as does the rest of Userreps and Userrel.
33 > Here is why:
34 >
35 > Building up a team with people that hardly know each other is not an
36 > easy task. It took us quite some time to get to know each other and to
37 > find a way to work somehow efficiently together. We are different to
38 > any other project in Gentoo land because we did not pick our team by
39 > ourself, but let others, you the user community, choose our team.
40 > That's the way it has to be of course but it's a handicap,
41 > nevertheless.
42 >
43 > Since the whole project was started there has only been one user, who
44 > also ran for Userreps btw, that followed our moves very closely. He
45 > is in our channel (#gentoo-userreps) almost all the time, he takes
46 > part in all our and userrel meetings, he is well known and respected
47 > in the devs community, he made lots of useful suggestion and took the
48 > time to write various concepts for his ideas, all of us Userreps value
49 > him and his opinion quite high and we get along with him very well.
50 >
51 > After the 11th seat got vacant, there wasn't really any discussion
52 > about it since it was obvious that we all wanted to have
53 > [url=http://forums.gentoo.org/profile.php?mode=viewprofile&u=105924]djay[/url]
54 >
55 > (aka djay-il [irc] aka Alex Bogak [rl]) as our new team member. Most
56 > of the devs believed that he was a Userrep anyways because he showed
57 > up at all the meetings and actively took part in all the discussions.
58 > :lol: And Userrel also seems to strongly agree with this idea.
59 >
60 > So I am here to ask your support to make djay our 11th member on the
61 > next Userreps/Userrel meeting this Saturday. He knows his way around
62 > and we know him quite well and he would fit just perfect in our team.
63 > If you want us to move on, to do the things we were voted for as fast
64 > as possible, please show us your support by dropping a few lines. If
65 > you think that this is not ok, please drop us a few lines to explain
66 > why.
67
68 An idea "out of the box" style:
69 Why not take that guy djay because he already acts like a part of the
70 project anyway, the second from the previous voting because it's fast
71 and logical, and a third one from a new voting because it would be fair?
72 This way everyone would be happy. ;-)
73 Yep, why restrict the project to only 11 members?
76 Best regards,
77 Daniel
81 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list