From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] install under centos606
Date: Mon, 21 Aug 2017 19:18:33
1 On Monday, 21 August 2017 12:49:27 BST mad.scientist.at.large@××××××××.com
2 wrote:
3 > Any likely problems if i install the stage3 tarball etc. under centos6.6?
4 > tried the live dvd but it has problems with my current graphics card
5 > (framebuffer driver).
6
7 I haven't tried out installing Gentoo using a CentOS LiveCD, but I have
8 installed it using Knoppix and more recently I have been exclusively using
9 systemrescueCD. I recommend you give it a spin.
12 > I'm excited about using gentoo, though the online instructions could really
13 > use more structuring, i.e. it's hard to avoid reading the parts you don't
14 > need to and the "flow" is rather lost.
15
16 I think the flow is not bad, for my needs at least. For example this page
17 offers a chapter at a time:
18
19 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64
20
21 which walks you through the installation in a structured manner. You can skip
22 the section you are familiar with or have processed already.
25 > It's an extremely verbose document
26 > which makes it very hard to get the gist of the install procedure.
27
28 Well you can't cover all edge use cases in a document which has to introduce
29 new users to this meta-distro, but it should get any willing participant to a
30 boot prompt after some diligent application of keyboard effort.
33 > it's
34 > not a bad document, merely poorly organized. I do appreciate the work that
35 > went into it, and it's good to have the detail available, but a more
36 > hierarchical procedure would be more readable and understandable. i'm
37 > fairly experienced at linux and it's hard for me to follow, most newbies
38 > would be helplessly confused. Once i'm more familiar with gentoo i'd be
39 > happy to take a stab at it, but not until i'm far more familiar. Thank you
40 > for what is likely the best distro for me and for being transparent, this
41 > is meant as purely constructive criticism, and i know no documentation can
42 > please all. no flames please, i've given up on other distro's who's mail
43 > list are full of flamers, something that doesn't help anyone.
44 >
45 > /OT
46 > yes, i'm dysgraphic, but i try to be concise and use good grammar, and all
47 > of my sentences go somewhere. I also don't expect non-native speakers to
48 > be perfect, i know english is a somewhat ugly language in many cases (like
49 > spelling), but that's because like gentoo, pieces have been borrowed from
50 > all over. that eclectic nature can be very useful but tends to slightly
51 > complicate things and webster didn't do us any favors. i'm 54 and learned
52 > to write cursive/script at least 4 times, it never stuck. my brain works
53 > differently than most but that's often a good thing (i tend to notice
54 > things many people miss, and often miss what is obvious to others to some
55 > degree). so bear with me and you might learn something, or ignore my posts
56 > and the insight in them but please don't think you can help more than an
57 > army of educators has. if you try to shame me the fault is your's. i am
58 > dyslexic, there are worse things. i do pay special attention to
59 > abbreviations where capitalisation can really matter, it is alot more of an
60 > effort for me than for most./OTOFF
61
62 For someone who is dysgraphic/dyslexic I think you are managing extremely
63 well, so this won't stop you trying out Gentoo, even if the handbook appears
64 awkward at times. I seem to recall a shorter guide for more advanced users
65 but I can't find it at present. Others may have a URL for it.
68 Regards,
69 Mick