From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Fonts (Ariel?) broken in acroread
Date: Wed, 06 Feb 2013 20:31:15
1 On Wed, Feb 6, 2013 at 2:05 PM, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 2013-02-06, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> I don't know when exactly, but sometime in the past 6 months or so,
5 >> font support in acroread got broken. Most of the PDF documents
6 >> generated by MS Office don't render correctly. I think the most common
7 >> font that doesn't render properly is Ariel. Acroread didn't used to
8 >> have any problems with these documents, and viewing them with out
9 >> applications seems to work OK.
10 >
11 > Blerg. That should read "viewing them with _other_ applications seems
12 > to work OK". IOW, emacs, epdfview, and mupdf all render the document
13 > using the correct fonts.
14 >
15 >> http://www.panix.com/~grante/acroread-vs-emacs.png
16
17 I just installed acroread (I usually use Okular) and mine works fine
18 on all of the PDF files I tried... but I don't know if any files I
19 have were generated by MS Office. Ensure your have the corefonts
20 package installed. Newer versions of MS Office (2007+) don't use Arial
21 as the default sans-serif font anymore, they use Calibri. I'm not sure
22 if that one is included in corefonts or not.
23
24 If you open /opt/Adobe/Reader9/bin/acroread in a text editor, it is
25 actually a shell script. There is a section that has:
26
27 # Enable this if you want Adobe Reader to cache Font-config fonts
28 ACRO_ENABLE_FONT_CONFIG=1
29 export ACRO_ENABLE_FONT_CONFIG
30
31 Maybe you can try commenting that out and see if it makes a difference.