From: dhk <dhkuhl@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] URGENT: Dead Keyboard after emerge --update world --deep
Date: Wed, 07 Oct 2009 09:46:21
1 Marco wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > after emerge --sync && emerge --update world --deep my keyboard (in X)
5 > does not work anymore. Since I am switching to slim after boot, I
6 > cannot even change to a console with Ctrl-Alt-F1. I guess something
7 > went wrong with the Xorg-update.
8 >
9 > I am now using a live-CD to be able to write this email.
10 >
11 > Please let me know what information you need else (logs, etc.)
12 >
13 > Any tips, hints and suggestions on how to solve my problem highly appreciated!
14 >
15 > --
16 > Best regards,
17 > Marco
21 I had the same problem last weekend. After a day I couldn't so I ran
22 "emerge -e --keep-going world" (after backing up a few important files
23 and running eclean-dist and emerge with dist-clean). Twenty hours later
24 everything was back. I only had a few administrative task and
25 everything was ok. The only problem I have left is the "There was an
26 error starting the GNOME Settings Daemon" error. If I run startx a few
27 times it seems to go away and that will have to due until I get around
28 to fixing it.
29
30 This probably wasn't the ideal solution, but it worked. The toughest
31 part was leaving the computer for so long.
32
33 Also, there use to be a command that would build an xorg.conf.new file
34 in the root's home directory. It was call xconfig or something like
35 that; I can't seem to find it anymore. Has it been deprecated?