From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problem with xf86-video-ati & nvidia-drivers
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 18:39:45
1 >> > --snip--
2 >> >
3 >> >>> The TV is an LG 47LH90 and and it is said to do 1080p.  I looked for
4 >> >>> ghosting in 16:9 mode instead of Just Scan mode and strangely the
5 >> >>> shadows are there, but they're oriented top and bottom instead of left
6 >> >>> and right.  I can take another photo if anyone would like to see.
7 >> >>>
8 >> >>> Why do I need to select Just Scan in order to prevent all 4 edges of
9 >> >>> the screen from being cut off?
10 >> >>>
11 >> >>> - Grant
12 >> >>
13 >> >> BTW I think you're on to something Stroller because the overall
14 >> >> picture is definitely improved in 16:9 mode compared to Just Scan
15 >> >> mode.  I just need to figure out how to prevent the edges of the
16 >> >> screen from being cut off.
17 >> >>
18 >> >> - Grant
19 >> >
20 >> > Grant,
21 >> >
22 >> > By default most TVs overscan inputs due to broadcast signals at the
23 >> > edges as the picture there is not well defined and can have white
24 >> > overscan lines and such. The TV compensates by overscanning which
25 >> > basically zooms in on the picture making (on my 46" Samsung TV) the
26 >> > outer 1-1.5" of the picture disappear.
27 >> >
28 >> > On my TV it was fairly simple to turn this off, I just had to label the
29 >> > HDMI input as "DVI PC" and it automatically turned off any picture
30 >> > processing/overscanning. Yours may be similar.
31 >> >
32 >> > Sorry if there's typos, I have a bandaged finger and it's a PITA to type
33 >> > with. I think I fixed all of them.
34 >> >
35 >> > Dan
36 >>
37 >> I found this:
38 >>
39 >> "We recommend using the Just Scan mode with 1080i and 1080p material,
40 >> which assures zero overscan and proper 1:1 pixel matching for this
41 >> 1080p display."
42 >>
43 >> http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/lg-47lh90/4505-6482_7-33485570.html#
44 >> reviewPage1
45 >>
46 >> Just Scan is what I've always used which has the ghosting problem.  I
47 >> think I'm back to square one.
48 >
49 > Just a thought:  have you approached the OEM for the TV?  If you could get to
50 > some technical department they would hopefully advise if this is a setting or
51 > hardware issue.
52
53 That may be. I'll try that. Please let me know if you think this may
54 be a software issue of some sort.
55
56 - Grant