From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Problem with xf86-video-ati & nvidia-drivers
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 21:01:06
1 On Tuesday 19 Jul 2011 20:41:08 Grant wrote:
2 > > --snip--
3 > >
4 > >>> The TV is an LG 47LH90 and and it is said to do 1080p. I looked for
5 > >>> ghosting in 16:9 mode instead of Just Scan mode and strangely the
6 > >>> shadows are there, but they're oriented top and bottom instead of left
7 > >>> and right. I can take another photo if anyone would like to see.
8 > >>>
9 > >>> Why do I need to select Just Scan in order to prevent all 4 edges of
10 > >>> the screen from being cut off?
11 > >>>
12 > >>> - Grant
13 > >>
14 > >> BTW I think you're on to something Stroller because the overall
15 > >> picture is definitely improved in 16:9 mode compared to Just Scan
16 > >> mode. I just need to figure out how to prevent the edges of the
17 > >> screen from being cut off.
18 > >>
19 > >> - Grant
20 > >
21 > > Grant,
22 > >
23 > > By default most TVs overscan inputs due to broadcast signals at the
24 > > edges as the picture there is not well defined and can have white
25 > > overscan lines and such. The TV compensates by overscanning which
26 > > basically zooms in on the picture making (on my 46" Samsung TV) the
27 > > outer 1-1.5" of the picture disappear.
28 > >
29 > > On my TV it was fairly simple to turn this off, I just had to label the
30 > > HDMI input as "DVI PC" and it automatically turned off any picture
31 > > processing/overscanning. Yours may be similar.
32 > >
33 > > Sorry if there's typos, I have a bandaged finger and it's a PITA to type
34 > > with. I think I fixed all of them.
35 > >
36 > > Dan
37 >
38 > I found this:
39 >
40 > "We recommend using the Just Scan mode with 1080i and 1080p material,
41 > which assures zero overscan and proper 1:1 pixel matching for this
42 > 1080p display."
43 >
44 > http://reviews.cnet.com/flat-panel-tvs/lg-47lh90/4505-6482_7-33485570.html#
45 > reviewPage1
46 >
47 > Just Scan is what I've always used which has the ghosting problem. I
48 > think I'm back to square one.
49
50 Just a thought: have you approached the OEM for the TV? If you could get to
51 some technical department they would hopefully advise if this is a setting or
52 hardware issue.
55 Regards,
56 Mick