From: Jeff Smelser <tradergt@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] MySQL Upgrade
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 22:07:01
1 On Sunday 30 October 2005 05:15 pm, C. Beamer wrote:
2
3 > In September, when I wiped Fedora Core off my main system and installed
4 > Gentoo, I had a MySQL database that I used for one reason and one reason
5 > only. To get my database files from the FC4 system to Gentoo, I just
6 > copied them to a ZIP drive. When I installed MySQL, in /var/lib/mysql/
7 > I created a directory with the name of my database and copied my
8 > database related files into that directory. Then I set up the users
9 > allowed to access to the database. This worked fine and is the
10 > workaround that I had to do today after upgrading MySQL.
11 >
12 > The instructions on the Gentoo website for upgrading gave a step by step
13 > to create a backup of my database. However, when I went to restore the
14 > database after the upgrade, the restore didn't work. I'm thinking that
15 > it was because of the way I got my database files into MySQL when I
16 > initially installed MySQL under Gentoo.
17
18 The problem here, is your not giving us enough to say what really went wrong
19 with the restore. If you have innodb tables, for example, you can't just
20 restore them in all cases, without tweaking things a bit.. Your just assuming
21 what the issue was, and telling us, then saying we should tweak things based
22 off something you really dont know..
23
24 I have never had a major problem restoring a db. I have had to make tweaks in
25 MANY cases, however.. So I would get the error message, then we can discuss
26 how to fix your case.
27
28 That step by step guide really isnt gonna work in all situations.. Nothing
29 personal to anyone, but there are too many situations out there, and the
30 backup/restore in mysql isnt really the best.. Besides, I have never had
31 problems with just upgrading, doing the upgrade guide what mysql says.. I
32 have never restored anything to upgrade.
33
34 Jeff