From: "C. Beamer" <cbeamer@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] MySQL Upgrade
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2005 23:02:21
1 Hi,
2
3 Jeff Smelser wrote:
4
5 >On Sunday 30 October 2005 05:15 pm, C. Beamer wrote:
9 >>The instructions on the Gentoo website for upgrading gave a step by step
10 >>to create a backup of my database. However, when I went to restore the
11 >>database after the upgrade, the restore didn't work. I'm thinking that
12 >>it was because of the way I got my database files into MySQL when I
13 >>initially installed MySQL under Gentoo.
17 >The problem here, is your not giving us enough to say what really went wrong
18 >with the restore. If you have innodb tables, for example, you can't just
19 >restore them in all cases, without tweaking things a bit.. Your just assuming
20 >what the issue was, and telling us, then saying we should tweak things based
21 >off something you really dont know..
24 Nothing went wrong with the restore per se. And you're right, I am
25 assuming the problem.
26
27 A better description would have been that the restore worked. However,
28 the only database that was restored was the test database. The database
29 that I had created by creating a directory that was named after the
30 database that I had created when using FC4 and then copying my database
31 related files into it, did not back up. Hence my assumption that
32 because the database was *not* created in MySQL under Gentoo, perhaps
33 this was the reason that the backup did not "pick up" (for lack of a
34 better description) this database.
35
36 This is not a real big deal. I can perform the same workaround that I
37 did this time. I was just curious if there was a way to fix this so
38 that my database would back up properly.
39
40 A suggestion was made that I try to dump this database using mysqldump.
41 It was stated that if I can use the database, which I can, I should be
42 able to dump it. I haven't had a chance to try this yet.
43
44 Regards,
45
46 Colleen