From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Call for opinions and/or use cases regarding games.eclass
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2016 22:25:45
1 On 07/01/2016 07:39 AM, Ian Zimmerman wrote:
2 > On 2016-07-01 01:27 -0700, Daniel Campbell wrote:
3 >
4 >> 1. Do you take advantage of games.eclass features, including restricting
5 >> game access to a given group and installing games outside of /usr and/or
6 >> on different media?
7 >
8 > No, in fact I was rather surprised by this extra complexity in Gentoo
9 > when I was migrating from Debian.
10 >
11 >> 2. If yes, how do you feel about the removal of the eclass? Did you rely
12 >> on its functionality? Does your use case require it?
13 >
14 > I would not miss it, but I now that I am at last done with the
15 > migration, and I have a bunch of games installed that are very important
16 > to me, I am afraid of the potential new burden of transitioning to a
17 > state where games are ordinary programs, even if such state would be
18 > beautiful, clean, simple, etc.
21 I haven't seen any documentation on how QA or others intend to
22 facilitate the switch, if they will add elog calls, write a news item,
23 move gamesaves, or anything like that, so for peace of mind I suggest
24 backing up your gamesaves. It's a good practice to get the hang of,
25 anyway. :)
26
27 In a perfect world, all you'd need to do is remerge the affected
28 packages and they'll install to the new locations.
31 Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
32 OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
33 fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6