From: "John J. Foster" <Gentoo-User@××××××××××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] date and gentoo running under vmplayer
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2008 03:05:58
1 On Wed, Mar 05, 2008 at 08:25:59PM -0700, John J. Foster wrote:
2 > Hi all - it's been awhile
3 >
4 > This past week I've set up Gentoo running in a VM built by
5 > http://www.easyvmx.com/ under a XP host. Installation and configuration
6 > went fine. I normally leave the VM running when I walk away from the
7 > machine, but when I return, time is way off. Shutting down Gentoo & the
8 > VM & rebooting solvles the problem, as vmplayer must initially get the
9 > date and time from the host, but it sure doesn't keep it right after
10 > that. I tried openntpd, but it kept setting the time further and further
11 > off. I live in Fort Collins, Co and my locatime is set correctly
12 > (America/Denver). This is my 1st time playing with VM's. Is this common?
13 > Is there any way around it? I'm not really sure why openntpd didn't
14 > work.
15 >
16 > Any and all help appreciated.
17 >
18 I need to explain this a little further, me thinks. My Gentoo VM is
19 losing right around 20 seconds every minute! This is not a problem that
20 ntp in any of its incarnations is designed to solve. A couple other
21 thing I have tried are
22
23 clock=pit noapic
24
25 appended to the kernel command line. I tried these together and
26 separately with no luck. Right now I'm trying another suggestion I
27 found, which is to change the kernel frequency timer from 1000Hz to
28 250Hz. I'm recompiling now and will let you know.
29
30 Any other suggestions still welcome.
31
32 Thanks,