From: Dave Oxley <dave@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] udevstart Segmentation fault - Urgent
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 05:41:21
1 Roy Wright wrote:
2
3 > Dave Oxley wrote:
4 >
5 >> I have just downgraded udev to 068-r1 and my server now boots again.
6 >> I'm about to do the same with my other Gentoo machine. The only thing
7 >> the 2 machines have in common is that they both have SATA drives, so
8 >> I wonder if this is causing the new udev a problem.
9 >>
10 >> Dave.
11 >>
12 >> Dave Oxley wrote:
13 >>
14 >>> I have just run 'emerge --update --deep --newuse world' on 2 of my
15 >>> Gentoo machines as I do every few days. This upgraded my udev from
16 >>> 068-r1 to 070. Neither machine will now boot. I've been
17 >>> investigating why on my server as it is most important that I get
18 >>> this machine up and running ASAP.
19 >>> During boot I get the following error:
20 >>> /sbin/rc: line 93: 1062 Segmentation fault /sbin/udevstart
21 >>> Then when it gets to checking root filesystem it reports /dev/sda3
22 >>> is missing and drops me to a filesystem repair console.
23 >>>
24 >>> Please can someone help. I urgently need to get this machine back up
25 >>> and running.
26 >>>
27 >>> Cheers,
28 >>> Dave.
32 > I'm running dual SATA Raptors with udev 70, kernel 2.6.12-r10. Just
33 > did a reboot to confirm that
34 > I could. So it is possible.
35 >
36 > Any info in dmesg? How far in the boot process do you get?
37 >
38 > -Roy
39 >
40 Both machines are now back up and running with udev-068-r1 so I can't
41 get the dmesg for when it went wrong at the moment. I'm running kernel
42 2.6.13-r4 on both machines but I tried booting with 2.6.13-r3 and
43 2.6.12-r10 and they made no difference. The drives in both machines are
44 Samsung Spinpoint SATA drives. This is the only thing the machines have
45 in common: The server is a P4 2.8 with Hyperthreading and therefore an
46 SMP kernel while the HTPC is an AMD64.
47
48 I will upgrade udev to 070 again on the HTPC and try to get the dmesg
49 for it a bit later on. The machines busy at the moment. When I do this,
50 is there any other information I can get from the logs etc that will help?
51
52 Cheers,
53 Dave.
54 --