From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Qustions re Dell M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid State Drives under Gentoo
Date: Fri, 28 May 2021 16:04:14
1 Hello, Walter.
2
3 On Thu, May 27, 2021 at 17:05:07 -0400, Walter Dnes wrote:
4 > It was nice to have a newer "hot backup" (XPS8940) to switch over to
5 > quickly when an older machine started locking up occasionally. Now I
6 > need a "hot backup" for the newer machine that I ordered last October.
7 > Dell Inspirons seem to top out at 12 gigs ram, so I'm looking for an XPS
8 > model in order to get more ram as the bloating of linux continues. All
9 > current XPS models seem to have 256G or 512G M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid State
10 > drives in the base configuration. Questions...
11
12 > * do NVMe drives function well under Gentoo (driver issues, etc)?
13
14 Yes. Without reservation. You need to enable NVMe in the kernel, and
15 there is a user-level program for doing things to them (like checking
16 number of reads/writes). There is no great problem setting up a boot
17 loader, any more than for any other sort of drive.
18
19 > * how long do they hold up (wear and tear)?
20
21 I've had a pair of Samsung 500Gb nvmes in RAID-1 in my 4 year old
22 machine since it was new. As yet I've had no problems with them. In
23 fact, the machine has never known spinning rust.
24
25 > * can I simply disable them if I run into problems?
26
27 If you've got something to fall back onto, yes.
28
29 > If someone can suggest an alternate supplier to Dell, that ships to
30 > greater Toronto, at similar prices, I'd be willing to take a look at
31 > them.
32
33 I can't comment at all on that. I built my machine from components.
34 The only slightly tricky bit was finding a PCIe card to hold the second
35 NVMe drive.
36
37 > --
38 > Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
39 > I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications
42 Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).