From: Bill Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Profile 17.1 fails at the analyse stage
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2019 22:36:40
1 On 20/6/19 9:40 pm, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Jun 20, 2019 at 9:21 AM Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net> wrote:
3 >> The --analyze phase bailed out before even starting. I filed an issue
4 >> upstream (mgorny's github repository) and he made a change (I didn't
5 >> look at the actual commit) so this situation should now be handled
6 >> correctly. I think he did want to accept anything that ended up
7 >> pointing to the right place, but was afraid of ending up with an
8 >> unpredictable result, so now it will accept either the relative or
9 >> absolute form. I don't know when he will release a new version.
10 >>
11 > IMO that was the right design choice. You just don't want to mess
12 > around with these symlinks without care, so it is better to test that
13 > everything is as expected. Otherwise you'll break some system that
14 > somebody had tweaked 5 years ago and forgotten about. This way the
15 > edge cases get reported, and can be taken into account before opening
16 > things up more...
17 >
18 2 out of 7 systems have this style symlink - one is quite old (many
19 years), the other only one year or so. How system level links would
20 happen in this way is strange.  Both systems have been through (in some
21 cases multiple) restores from backup which may have been the cause.
24 BillK