From: Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto <please.no.spam.here@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Installing software without an internet connection
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2008 16:02:55
1 On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 5:49 AM, Dirk Uys <dirkcuys@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 9:18 AM, Lorenzu Hewa, Gayan Neomal
3 > <GayanNeomal.LorenzuHewa@×××××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
4 >> I Used the Live CD ... It does contain few packages like X11,xfce4, gdm
5 >> , some network utils,vim . But I need to get other packages which I
6 >> need. lIke Gcj , fluxbox , mpg321 ...
7 >>
8 >> Even though it has only few packages installed it consumes a lot of disk
9 >> space... that another problem im having.
12 > I used to run an offline gentoo setup. You can use "emerge -upvf
13 > <package-name(s)>" to get a list of files you need to obtain. Pipe the
14 > output of that to some file, do some grep/sed to remove duplicates and
15 > remove the multiple urls.
16 >
17 > Write a script to fetch all the files in your file list. It can be as
18 > simple as "for file in `cat filelist` do wget $URL/$file; done;" When
19 > you get to an internet connection, run the script to fetch all the
20 > files.
21 Why don't you just run wget -i filelist? In fact, you do not even need
22 to edit the filelist to remove duplicates; you can just use wget's -nc
23 option.
24
25 So you can use wget -nc -i filelist
26 or, if you want to do it in the background
27 wget -nc -i filelist -b --progress=dot:mega
28
29 > The /usr/portage/distfiles directory can very quickly grow, clean it
30 > up every now and then.
31 I suggest the tool eclean (part of gentoolkit).