From: Dirk Uys <dirkcuys@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Installing software without an internet connection
Date: Wed, 05 Nov 2008 07:49:56
1 On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 9:18 AM, Lorenzu Hewa, Gayan Neomal
2 <GayanNeomal.LorenzuHewa@×××××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > I Used the Live CD ... It does contain few packages like X11,xfce4, gdm
4 > , some network utils,vim . But I need to get other packages which I
5 > need. lIke Gcj , fluxbox , mpg321 ...
6 >
7 > Even though it has only few packages installed it consumes a lot of disk
8 > space... that another problem im having.
9 >
10 > Thanks & Regards,
11 >
12 > Gayan Lorenzu Hewa | Sub Officer | Wholesale Banking Corporate Service
13 > Center | Standard Chartered Bank
14 > (: 0115-397335): 0773-652003 6: 0115-397337 *:
15 > GayanNeomal.LorenzuHewa@×××××××××××××××××.com
16
17 I used to run an offline gentoo setup. You can use "emerge -upvf
18 <package-name(s)>" to get a list of files you need to obtain. Pipe the
19 output of that to some file, do some grep/sed to remove duplicates and
20 remove the multiple urls.
21
22 Write a script to fetch all the files in your file list. It can be as
23 simple as "for file in `cat filelist` do wget $URL/$file; done;" When
24 you get to an internet connection, run the script to fetch all the
25 files.
26
27 Copy the files you just downloaded to /usr/portage/dist and emerge the
28 package normally.
29
30 Here is a link to a project I used before:
31 http://www.tlug.org.za/wiki/index.php/Ogentools. I don't know if it's
32 still active?
33
34 The /usr/portage/distfiles directory can very quickly grow, clean it
35 up every now and then. Check the /var folder. When aborting ebuilds
36 with ctrl-c some files are left behind in /var/tmp/portage/.
37
38 Lastly I'd like to say, I feel for you, running gentoo offline can
39 sometimes be a painful process.
40
41 Regards
42 Dirk