From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: /var/tmp on tmpfs
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2018 22:32:49
1 On 08/02/18 23:57, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Feb 8, 2018 at 4:52 PM, gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >>
4 >> However, it probably won't be sooner than
5 >> # emerge --update --deep --with-bdeps=y --newuse --backtrack=90 --ask
6 >> world --exclude chromium
7 >> fails because of the "--exclude chromium" part :), as I have already compiled
8 >> the recent vertion of chromium with /var/tmp/portage on the hard disk and
9 >> it took more than 24 hours on my old AMD Athlon X2 with j2 option. :(
12 > Honestly I doubt that tmpfs will make much difference since this is
13 > probably CPU-bound.
14
15 The lack of disk I/O improves the desktop while using it. Build times
16 get slightly lower, but as you said, not enough as to be the main use.
17 It's really about avoiding disk I/O. Another benefit is reducing
18 fragmentation on the disk.