From: "Jörg Schaible" <joerg.schaible@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Changing boot device with 2.6.36
Date: Tue, 04 Jan 2011 09:46:33
1 Hi Paul,
2
3 Paul Hartman wrote:
4
5 > On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 11:43 AM, Jörg Schaible <joerg.schaible@×××.de>
6 > wrote:
7 >> Hi,
8 >>
9 >> starting with the 2.6.36-r5 kernel of the Gentoo sources my boot device
10 >> changes. With 2.6.35 and below it is alway /dev/sda3, with the new kernel
11 >> it seems that anything that is internally connected with USB is assigned
12 >> a device first. Since my computer has an internal media bay (and my
13 >> monitor has such a thing also) the first HD moves - it I take care it is
14 >> now /dev/sde3. However, if I forget to switch on the monitor and do this
15 >> later or if an USB stick is already plugged in at boot time, the HD gets
16 >> a different device number again.
17 >>
18 >> Can somebody else confirm such a behaviour with the 2.6.36 kernel and how
19 >> can this brought back to normal operation?
20 >
21 > Is it possible that your BIOS is changing device order? Do you have
22 > USB device set to boot before HDD device?
23
24 No, HD is first. But I'll recheck.
25
26 - Jörg