From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o, gentoo-user@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Changing boot device with 2.6.36
Date: Mon, 03 Jan 2011 20:23:21
1 On Mon, Jan 3, 2011 at 11:43 AM, Jörg Schaible <joerg.schaible@×××.de> wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > starting with the 2.6.36-r5 kernel of the Gentoo sources my boot device
5 > changes. With 2.6.35 and below it is alway /dev/sda3, with the new kernel it
6 > seems that anything that is internally connected with USB is assigned a
7 > device first. Since my computer has an internal media bay (and my monitor
8 > has such a thing also) the first HD moves - it I take care it is now
9 > /dev/sde3. However, if I forget to switch on the monitor and do this later
10 > or if an USB stick is already plugged in at boot time, the HD gets a
11 > different device number again.
12 >
13 > Can somebody else confirm such a behaviour with the 2.6.36 kernel and how
14 > can this brought back to normal operation?
15
16 Is it possible that your BIOS is changing device order? Do you have
17 USB device set to boot before HDD device?