From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Anyone switched to eudev yet?
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2012 13:59:26
1 Nuno J. Silva wrote:
2 > On 2012-12-24, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 >>> On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 19:03:25 +0200
6 >>> nunojsilva@×××××××.pt (Nuno J. Silva) wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>>> On 2012-12-23, Alan McKinnon wrote:
9 >>>>
10 >>>>> On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 12:22:24 +0200
11 >>>>> nunojsilva@×××××××.pt (Nuno J. Silva) wrote:
12 > [...]
13 >>>>>> What about just mounting /usr as soon as the system boots?
14 >>>>> Please read the thread next time. The topic under discussion is
15 >>>>> solutions to the problem of not being able to do exactly that.
16 >>>> Then I suppose you can surely explain in a nutshell why can't init
17 >>>> scripts simply do that?
18 >>>>
19 >>> It is trivially easy to create a circular loop whereby code required to
20 >>> mount /usr now resides on /usr.
21 >>>
22 >>> Which is the entire thrust of this whole thread.
23 >>>
24 >> When I reboot, I get a lot of errors about /var being empty, since it is
25 >> not mounted yet. It appears it wants /var as well as /usr early on in
26 >> the boot process. It boots regardless of the errors tho.
27 >>
28 >> For the record Nuno, I have / and /boot on regular partitions. I have
29 >> everything else, /home, /usr, /var and /usr/portage on LVM partitions.
30 >> Until recently, I NEVER needed a init thingy and had zero errors while
31 >> booting. Once this 'needing /usr on /' started a few months ago, I was
32 >> told I would need one to boot. The claim being it was broken all the
33 >> time but odd that it worked for the last 9 years with no problem, might
34 >> add, I only been using Linux for the last 9 years but it also would have
35 >> worked before that.
36 >>
37 > In your case, does it actually fail without an initrd now? It's just
38 > that I see lots of people saying "it doesn't work" or "it will silently
39 > fail", that's why I asked the question, I was looking for actual
40 > examples of how can this go wrong (other than just because the init
41 > scripts don't try to mount /usr before starting udev).
42 >
43 > Also, how does an initrd help solving the chicken-and-the-egg problem
44 > for a missing /usr?
45 >
46 > I suppose the LVM drivers create additional device files that are only
47 > created once udevd is up and running in order to process these events?
48 > (With the case of a regular partition being no problem just because
49 > linux apparently offers hardcoded files for some partitions in the first
50 > ATA controllers.)
53 Well, so far I have stuck with the udev that works without a init
54 thingy. I do have a init thingy for when the udev that requires it is
55 marked stable. The devs are keeping the udev that requires /usr on /
56 masked and/or keyworded until everyone is ready. That was until eudev
57 was announced. Now they are also waiting on eudev to get stable so
58 people can switch to it. I plan to switch too.
59
60 The problem is this from my understanding. For decades, any commands or
61 config files needed to boot Linux had to be in /bin, /sbin, /etc, and/or
62 /lib. Those directories were what was needed to boot and anything
63 needed to boot a system should be installed into one or more of those
64 directories. Then someone came up with the idea of putting things into
65 /usr instead. When they did that, it broke things. To me, this change
66 makes as much sense as putting the mount command is /usr/bin but that is
67 where some want Linux to go. I have read where some want to basically
68 move about everything to /usr but not sure how much traction that is
69 getting.
70
71 Basically, something that has worked for decades is declared to be
72 broken all that time and if it wasn't broken, we are going to break it.
73
74 From my understanding, if I upgrade my system to the later version of
75 udev and bypass the init system, my system will not boot. I have not
76 tested the theory but that is what people have been saying. Not only is
77 my /usr separate but it is on LVM partitons too.
78
79 Dale
80
84 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!