From: nunojsilva@ist.utl.pt (Nuno J. Silva)
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Anyone switched to eudev yet?
Date: Mon, 24 Dec 2012 13:19:58
1 On 2012-12-24, Dale wrote:
2
3 > Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 >> On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 19:03:25 +0200
5 >> nunojsilva@×××××××.pt (Nuno J. Silva) wrote:
6 >>
7 >>> On 2012-12-23, Alan McKinnon wrote:
8 >>>
9 >>>> On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 12:22:24 +0200
10 >>>> nunojsilva@×××××××.pt (Nuno J. Silva) wrote:
11 [...]
12 >>>>> What about just mounting /usr as soon as the system boots?
13 >>>>
14 >>>> Please read the thread next time. The topic under discussion is
15 >>>> solutions to the problem of not being able to do exactly that.
16 >>> Then I suppose you can surely explain in a nutshell why can't init
17 >>> scripts simply do that?
18 >>>
19 >> It is trivially easy to create a circular loop whereby code required to
20 >> mount /usr now resides on /usr.
21 >>
22 >> Which is the entire thrust of this whole thread.
25 > When I reboot, I get a lot of errors about /var being empty, since it is
26 > not mounted yet. It appears it wants /var as well as /usr early on in
27 > the boot process. It boots regardless of the errors tho.
28 >
29 > For the record Nuno, I have / and /boot on regular partitions. I have
30 > everything else, /home, /usr, /var and /usr/portage on LVM partitions.
31 > Until recently, I NEVER needed a init thingy and had zero errors while
32 > booting. Once this 'needing /usr on /' started a few months ago, I was
33 > told I would need one to boot. The claim being it was broken all the
34 > time but odd that it worked for the last 9 years with no problem, might
35 > add, I only been using Linux for the last 9 years but it also would have
36 > worked before that.
39 In your case, does it actually fail without an initrd now? It's just
40 that I see lots of people saying "it doesn't work" or "it will silently
41 fail", that's why I asked the question, I was looking for actual
42 examples of how can this go wrong (other than just because the init
43 scripts don't try to mount /usr before starting udev).
44
45 Also, how does an initrd help solving the chicken-and-the-egg problem
46 for a missing /usr?
47
48 I suppose the LVM drivers create additional device files that are only
49 created once udevd is up and running in order to process these events?
50 (With the case of a regular partition being no problem just because
51 linux apparently offers hardcoded files for some partitions in the first
52 ATA controllers.)
53
54 > So, Nuno, everything was fine until they started moving things to a
55 > place where it shouldn't be. Now, we have people working on eudev which
56 > will replace udev and allow us to boot with a separate /usr and no init
57 > thingy either. Basically, putting it back like it was, for many years I
58 > might add.
61 Nuno Silva (aka njsg)
62 http://njsg.sdf-eu.org/