From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: KDE and HARD lock ups.
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2011 06:06:13
1 On Friday 08 Jul 2011 05:43:58 Dale wrote:
2 > walt wrote:
3 > > On 07/05/2011 10:38 PM, Dale wrote:
4 > >> My current plan, finish this new install. Test the ram and hope it is
5 > >> OK.
6 > >
7 > > I can feel your pain :( This may not help, but I thought I'd mention it
8 > > just because nothing else has helped so far.
9 > >
10 > > I started having random keyboard issues right after the most recent xorg
11 > > update on my ~x86 and ~amd64 machines.
12 > >
13 > > Maybe just once/day or so I'll hit a key and the auto-repeat function
14 > > starts repeating the keystroke ad infinitum until I hit Backspace.
15 > >
16 > > This is not a lockup like your problem, but it was striking that this
17 > > random keyboard problem started right after the recent xorg update.
18 > > (Yes, I recompiled all the drivers after the upgrade.)
19 > >
20 > > Since you are recompiling/reinstalling everything anyway, what about
21 > > masking the most recent xorg-server/xorg-driver updates so you can test
22 > > older versions? You quad-core speed demon ;p
23 >
24 > I'm going to add this to the "to try" list. That sort of makes sense.
25 > Most of the time it is a hard lock up. It won't even let me ssh in from
26 > my old rig or use the SysReq keys. Sometimes tho, it acts like things
27 > are still running but the GUI is locked up. I didn't get to try to ssh
28 > in then tho. I know once I had a compile running and I could see the
29 > hard drive light blinking as it compiled. So something was working that
30 > time at least. One thing I did learn, if the lights on the keyboard
31 > are blinking, it's locked up tight. If they are not blinking, I can use
32 > the SysReq keys to reboot.
33 >
34 > I also thought about just booting Knoppix and seeing if it works. Maybe
35 > it is just some weird code that Konsole and Firefox have in common
36 > somehow. The only thing is, I'm sure they will use different version of
37 > all the software. It may not make any difference except to rule out
38 > hardware. I'm pretty sure hardware is OK but we know how hard those are
39 > to track down.
40 >
41 > One more thing on the try list if this doesn't work.
42 >
43 > Thanks.
44 >
45 > Dale
46
47 I'm stating the obvious here, but have you tried restoring from a back up that
48 you made before these problems started?
51 Regards,
52 Mick