From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: KDE and HARD lock ups.
Date: Fri, 08 Jul 2011 08:06:19
1 Mick wrote:
2 > On Friday 08 Jul 2011 05:43:58 Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> walt wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> On 07/05/2011 10:38 PM, Dale wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>>> My current plan, finish this new install. Test the ram and hope it is
9 >>>> OK.
10 >>>>
11 >>> I can feel your pain :( This may not help, but I thought I'd mention it
12 >>> just because nothing else has helped so far.
13 >>>
14 >>> I started having random keyboard issues right after the most recent xorg
15 >>> update on my ~x86 and ~amd64 machines.
16 >>>
17 >>> Maybe just once/day or so I'll hit a key and the auto-repeat function
18 >>> starts repeating the keystroke ad infinitum until I hit Backspace.
19 >>>
20 >>> This is not a lockup like your problem, but it was striking that this
21 >>> random keyboard problem started right after the recent xorg update.
22 >>> (Yes, I recompiled all the drivers after the upgrade.)
23 >>>
24 >>> Since you are recompiling/reinstalling everything anyway, what about
25 >>> masking the most recent xorg-server/xorg-driver updates so you can test
26 >>> older versions? You quad-core speed demon ;p
27 >>>
28 >> I'm going to add this to the "to try" list. That sort of makes sense.
29 >> Most of the time it is a hard lock up. It won't even let me ssh in from
30 >> my old rig or use the SysReq keys. Sometimes tho, it acts like things
31 >> are still running but the GUI is locked up. I didn't get to try to ssh
32 >> in then tho. I know once I had a compile running and I could see the
33 >> hard drive light blinking as it compiled. So something was working that
34 >> time at least. One thing I did learn, if the lights on the keyboard
35 >> are blinking, it's locked up tight. If they are not blinking, I can use
36 >> the SysReq keys to reboot.
37 >>
38 >> I also thought about just booting Knoppix and seeing if it works. Maybe
39 >> it is just some weird code that Konsole and Firefox have in common
40 >> somehow. The only thing is, I'm sure they will use different version of
41 >> all the software. It may not make any difference except to rule out
42 >> hardware. I'm pretty sure hardware is OK but we know how hard those are
43 >> to track down.
44 >>
45 >> One more thing on the try list if this doesn't work.
46 >>
47 >> Thanks.
48 >>
49 >> Dale
50 >>
51 > I'm stating the obvious here, but have you tried restoring from a back up that
52 > you made before these problems started?
56 I usually have a backup but I got rid of it a month or so ago. I was
57 planning to take the drive out and use it for something else but never
58 got around to it. Before that I played with LVM a bit.
59
60 So far, I have upgraded gcc and glibc and the emerge -e world is almost
61 finished. If it still locks up, I'm going to try a different xorg and
62 friends. Someone else mentioned a bug that is pretty close to what I
63 have going on.
64
65 I'm going to fix this even if I don't know for sure what caused it. If
66 after this emerge it works, it has to be either gcc or glibc. If it
67 still does it and I upgrade/downgrade xorg and friends then it works,
68 then I know it was one of those.
69
70 I'm just hoping for a fix and glad I got Fluxbox on here. Fluxbox ain't
71 fancy but it works well for a backup.. I have to add, it is pretty
72 snappy on a 4 core 3.2Ghz CPU with 16Gbs of ram too. lol
73
74 Dale
75