From: PaulNM <gentoo@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] UPS recommendation
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 11:51:42
1 Arthur Britto wrote:
2
3 > You likely want more than a minute. Most likely, you don't want your
4 > system to crash when coming back up when power fails soon after it is
5 > restored: your system could be in the middle of a fsck. Generally, you
6 > want enough capacity to: power off, power on, and then power off safely.
7 >
8 I second this. If the system is busy, it might take a couple of minutes
9 before it really shuts down. Ten to fifteen minutes is the MINIMUM
10 runtime I'd suggest. As the battery ages, runtime will lessen, plus it
11 gives you more room to expand. Power usage does not scale linearly, if
12 200 watt usage lasts X amount of time, 400 watt usage lasts less than
13 X/2 and 100 watt is more than 2X. My personal experiences with power
14 outages is that they're rare and short, but when they do occur they
15 happen a few times during the day/night. This, of course, may vary from
16 your area. Another thing to consider is brownouts or volt dropages. The
17 ups will kick in if the volt level drops too low (or too high). If this
18 happens frequently enough, it will deplete the battery or wear it out
19 much more quickly.
20
21 > I am very happy with the CyberPower Intelligent LCD Series: CP*AVRLCD
22 > http://www.cyberpowersystems.com/
23 >
24 > The series has:
25 >
26 > NUT support:
27 > You want something that works with NUT. Instead of a vendor specific
28 > package. This way your acquired skills are portable and future proofed.
29 > Network UPS Tools
30 > http://eu1.networkupstools.org
31 > NUT is great. It safely powers off my system when the UPS is low.
32 > Additionally, I set it up to e-mail my cell phone when the power state
33 > changes. If I go out during a power outage, I can stay out longer if I
34 > know the power is not restored.
35
36 My personal experience has been with APC equipment, but CyberPower is
37 also a great maker. I also second NUT. It's a better, more flexible
38 framework that supports just about any decent ups.
41 > USB interface:
42 > * A USB port is more future proof: serial ports are becoming rare.
43 > * Allows monitoring UPS state.
44 > * Allows powering off the UPS.
45 >
46 USB is almost mandatory now. Serial ports are usually only on high-end
47 expensive models, and (almost) never on what you'll find in stores.
48
49 > LCD Display:
50 > At a touch know:
51 > * power consumption (don't need to pull out a Kill-O-Watt)
52 > * battery charge
53 > * estimated minutes remaining
56 Before spending extra on anything with an LCD, google the model or lcd
57 errors first. I've seen reports that they tend to be inaccurate,
58 especially with APC. Mine under reports watt usage by a significant
59 amount, somewhere between 1/3 to 2/3 of actual usage(I forget what my
60 tests with various light bulbs showed). This was testing the ups with
61 only a small lamp plugged in, everything else UNPLUGGED (not just off).
62 I also used several light bulbs since they can vary a little.
65 > One thing to be wary of is like most inexpensive UPSes it does not
66 > provide a pure sine wave. This can damage a power supply that has
67 > active power factor correction. Luckily for my Silencer 750 Quad
68 > according to the manufacturer due to the short time in which the UPS is
69 > in use it is not an issue.
70 >
71 > -Arthur
75 PaulNM