From: maxim wexler <blissfix@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] UPS recommendation
Date: Fri, 16 May 2008 00:48:33
1 --- On Tue, 5/13/08, PaulNM <gentoo@×××××××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > From: PaulNM <gentoo@×××××××××.com>
4 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] UPS recommendation
5 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
6 > Date: Tuesday, May 13, 2008, 4:51 AM
7 > Arthur Britto wrote:
8 >
9 > > You likely want more than a minute. Most likely, you
10 > don't want your
11 > > system to crash when coming back up when power fails
12 > soon after it is
13 > > restored: your system could be in the middle of a
14 > fsck. Generally, you
15 > > want enough capacity to: power off, power on, and then
16 > power off safely.
17 > >
18 > I second this. If the system is busy, it might take a
19 > couple of minutes
20 > before it really shuts down. Ten to fifteen minutes is the
21 > MINIMUM
22 > runtime I'd suggest. As the battery ages, runtime will
23 > lessen, plus it
24 > gives you more room to expand. Power usage does not scale
25 > linearly, if
26 > 200 watt usage lasts X amount of time, 400 watt usage lasts
27 > less than
28 > X/2 and 100 watt is more than 2X. My personal experiences
29 > with power
30 > outages is that they're rare and short, but when they
31 > do occur they
32 > happen a few times during the day/night. This, of course,
33 > may vary from
34 > your area. Another thing to consider is brownouts or volt
35 > dropages. The
36 > ups will kick in if the volt level drops too low (or too
37 > high). If this
38 > happens frequently enough, it will deplete the battery or
39 > wear it out
40 > much more quickly.
41 >
42 > > I am very happy with the CyberPower Intelligent LCD
43 > Series: CP*AVRLCD
44 > > http://www.cyberpowersystems.com/
45 > >
46 > > The series has:
47 > >
48 > > NUT support:
49 > > You want something that works with NUT. Instead of
50 > a vendor specific
51 > > package. This way your acquired skills are portable
52 > and future proofed.
53 > > Network UPS Tools
54 > > http://eu1.networkupstools.org
55 > > NUT is great. It safely powers off my system when the
56 > UPS is low.
57 > > Additionally, I set it up to e-mail my cell phone when
58 > the power state
59 > > changes. If I go out during a power outage, I can
60 > stay out longer if I
61 > > know the power is not restored.
62 >
63 > My personal experience has been with APC equipment, but
64 > CyberPower is
65 > also a great maker. I also second NUT. It's a better,
66 > more flexible
67 > framework that supports just about any decent ups.
70 > > USB interface:
71 > > * A USB port is more future proof: serial ports are
72 > becoming rare.
73 > > * Allows monitoring UPS state.
74 > > * Allows powering off the UPS.
75 > >
76 > USB is almost mandatory now. Serial ports are usually only
77 > on high-end
78 > expensive models, and (almost) never on what you'll
79 > find in stores.
80 >
81 > > LCD Display:
82 > > At a touch know:
83 > > * power consumption (don't need to pull out a
84 > Kill-O-Watt)
85 > > * battery charge
86 > > * estimated minutes remaining
89 > Before spending extra on anything with an LCD, google the
90 > model or lcd
91 > errors first. I've seen reports that they tend to be
92 > inaccurate,
93 > especially with APC. Mine under reports watt usage by a
94 > significant
95 > amount, somewhere between 1/3 to 2/3 of actual usage(I
96 > forget what my
97 > tests with various light bulbs showed). This was testing
98 > the ups with
99 > only a small lamp plugged in, everything else UNPLUGGED
100 > (not just off).
101 > I also used several light bulbs since they can vary a
102 > little.
105 > > One thing to be wary of is like most inexpensive UPSes
106 > it does not
107 > > provide a pure sine wave. This can damage a power
108 > supply that has
109 > > active power factor correction. Luckily for my
110 > Silencer 750 Quad
111 > > according to the manufacturer due to the short time in
112 > which the UPS is
113 > > in use it is not an issue.
114 > >
115 > > -Arthur
119 > PaulNM
120 > --
121 > gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list
122
123 Thanks for your exhaustive replies. I've decided to go for the APC ES-350 for seventy bucks at the local Staples. Mostly because I could pack it home on my bike and avoid the shipping charges which are huge for heavy things, like UPS systems. According to the table on the back of the box I get 6min with a 15in LCD monitor, so I should get slightly more with no monitor attached. I don't care if I don't save something or have to abort a compile in mid-stream. What I'm afraid of his having the power cut out while the r/w head of the hard drive is in motion. That can't be good.
124
125 -mw
130 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list