From: Daniel Troeder <daniel@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] Setting up correct domainname
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 21:21:31
1 On Sun, 2009-09-20 at 21:38 +0100, Mick wrote:
2 > On Sunday 20 September 2009, Harry Putnam wrote:
3 > > Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> writes:
4 > > > -----The following addresses had permanent fatal errors-----
5 > > > <email_account@×××.com>
6 > > > (reason: 550 5.1.0 <nagios@×××××××××××××××××.com> sender rejected :
7 > > > invalid sender domain)
8 > > >
9 > > > -----Transcript of session follows -----
10 > > >
11 > > > ... while talking to smtp.ISP.com:
12 > > >>>> MAIL From:<nagios@×××××××××××××××××.com> SIZE=745 AUTH=<>
13 > > >
14 > > > <<< 550 5.1.0 <nagios@×××××××××××××××××.com> sender rejected : invalid
15 > > > sender domain
16 > > > 554 5.0.0 Service unavailable
17 > > > ================================================================
18 > > >
19 > > > Does this fail because the ISP's reverse DNS on my dynamically allocated
20 > > > IP address resolves to an ISP domain instead of myserver.mydomain.com?
21 > > >
22 > > > Is there something I could change in the configuration of my server to
23 > > > make this work again?
24 > >
25 > > I think you might avoid the problem by making sendmail Impersonate your
26 > > isps domain.
27 > >
28 > > Using some or all of these settings in sendmail.mc
29 > > MASQUERADE_AS(`yourISP.domain')dnl
30 > > MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(`youractual.domain')dnl
31 > > FEATURE(masquerade_entire_domain)dnl
32 > > FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)dnl
33 >
34 > Yes, that should fix the reverse DNS problem alright, but then people who
35 > receive email notifications from myserver will be confused by the domain that
36 > these messages are sent from.
37 I don't know this sendmail feature, but I think sendmail should not
38 modify your message, but just the envelop. So `youractual.domain' would
39 still be in the "To"-header, while `yourISP.domain' is in the envelop.
40 That should make your ISP happy, and no receiver will ever notice
41 (except if they look at the headers), because MUAs only show the
42 "To"-header :)
43
44 Your ISP could still check the "To"-header - but that would be just
45 plain ugly...
46
47 > I could also use the ISP's domain for my IP address in the server's /etc/hosts
48 > file - although it would have the same problem with regards to the domain
49 > that messages are sent from.