From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] Setting up correct domainname
Date: Sun, 20 Sep 2009 20:39:12
1 On Sunday 20 September 2009, Harry Putnam wrote:
2 > Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> writes:
3 > > -----The following addresses had permanent fatal errors-----
4 > > <email_account@×××.com>
5 > > (reason: 550 5.1.0 <nagios@×××××××××××××××××.com> sender rejected :
6 > > invalid sender domain)
7 > >
8 > > -----Transcript of session follows -----
9 > >
10 > > ... while talking to smtp.ISP.com:
11 > >>>> MAIL From:<nagios@×××××××××××××××××.com> SIZE=745 AUTH=<>
12 > >
13 > > <<< 550 5.1.0 <nagios@×××××××××××××××××.com> sender rejected : invalid
14 > > sender domain
15 > > 554 5.0.0 Service unavailable
16 > > ================================================================
17 > >
18 > > Does this fail because the ISP's reverse DNS on my dynamically allocated
19 > > IP address resolves to an ISP domain instead of myserver.mydomain.com?
20 > >
21 > > Is there something I could change in the configuration of my server to
22 > > make this work again?
23 >
24 > I think you might avoid the problem by making sendmail Impersonate your
25 > isps domain.
26 >
27 > Using some or all of these settings in sendmail.mc
28 > MASQUERADE_AS(`yourISP.domain')dnl
29 > MASQUERADE_DOMAIN(`youractual.domain')dnl
30 > FEATURE(masquerade_entire_domain)dnl
31 > FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)dnl
32
33 Yes, that should fix the reverse DNS problem alright, but then people who
34 receive email notifications from myserver will be confused by the domain that
35 these messages are sent from.
36
37 I could also use the ISP's domain for my IP address in the server's /etc/hosts
38 file - although it would have the same problem with regards to the domain
39 that messages are sent from.
40 --
41 Regards,
42 Mick