From: Maarten <gentoo@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] kernel 2.6 upgrade howto
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 18:56:41
1 On Monday 06 December 2004 19:23, Jean-Francois Gagnon Laporte wrote:
2 > On Mon, 6 Dec 2004 18:47:43 +0100, Maarten <gentoo@××××××××.org> wrote:
3
4 > > I think I correctly upgraded 2004.2 to 2004.3 but how do I check that to
5 > > make sure?
6 >
7 > Okay let's divide the questions shall we. There isn't really any
8 > revision to gentoo. I think you have switched your profile am I right
9
10 If that is what I think it is, yes. [Changing some symlink somewhere I forgot]
11
12 > > The machine did not do anything spectacular when I made that change,
13 > > is that expected behaviour ?
14 >
15 > If you were up to date with your local portage tree and recently
16 > update your installation there is no reason to anything since you
17 > already up to date. You only switched profile from what I can read.
18
19 indeed. So the kernel is not updated with changing profiles ?
20 (or at least, not when going from 2004.2 to 2004.3)
21
22 > > Now for the fullfillment of the transition to 2004.3 I need a kernel
23 > > 2.6, right ?
24 >
25 > Not really, AFAIK gentoo hasn't switched to 2.6 by default. If you
26 > still need to you can run a 2.4 kernel without any problems except you
27 > will miss some goodies. But, if you aren't confortable with 2.6 or
28 > even a linux kernel you might want to stick with a 2.4 kernel. It just
29 > works.
30
31 I run linux kernels since 1996, so I should be "comfortable" with them. ;-)
32 I (wrongly) assumed gentoo-latest-rev used a 2.6 kernel so I was unsure how to
33 transistion to 2004.3. So, that is cleared up now.
34 However, I will still want to run with 2.6, definitely.
35
36 > > Can someone point me to the docs that
37 > > detail that step cause I could not find that very well.
38 >
39 > Sure here ya go. It still has that fresh smell from the oven (It has
40 > been updated recently)
41 >
42 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/migration-to-2.6.xml
43 >
44 > May I suggest you go to www.gentoo.org and look at the left side of
45 > the navbar to see a big category called Documentation. Check out the
46 > user docs section it's pretty good.
47
48 Of course I did. In fact I couldn't have installed gentoo without it. :-)
49 (Those are real fine docs by the way. Kudos!)
50 Somehow I overlooked that migration document. I guess it's just all too new
51 and confusing and overwhelming the first few visits... My bad. Thanks!
52
53 > > How do I make sure I retain my current kernel as a second boot option if
54 > > the 2.6 kernel will not boot ?
55 >
56 > What boot loader are you using ? Lilo or grub ? Here's my grub.conf
57 > that you might find useful :
58
59 Grub.conf will work. My question was rather, will one kernel not overwrite
60 another (as is sadly the case with a lot of other linux distributions).
61
62 One last question: Do you need to re-run grub-install after changing this
63 file or is it 'okay to go'. (you'll note I come from the lilo world ;-)
66 > Hopes this will help you out
67
68 Yes, I think it did. Thanks again.
69