From: covici@××××××××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] btrfs strategies (wasHard drive noise)
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2015 11:25:31
1 Stefan G. Weichinger <lists@×××××.at> wrote:
2
3 > Am 20.12.2015 um 08:40 schrieb J. Roeleveld:
4 >
5 > > These new filesystems should really be handed control of the entire disk as
6 > > they already include LVM-like functionality.
7 > > You can create subvolumes and limit those to different sizes if you so desire.
8 > >
9 > > When using an additional layer between ZFS/BTRFS and the discs, you will loose
10 > > performance with no gain in flexibility.
11 >
12 > And you lose the feature of protecting your blocks against bitrot!
13 >
14 > btrfs comes with subvolumes and there is no need to use it on top of
15 > LVM. If you want separated /, /usr, /var etc cut yourself subvolumes out
16 > of your btrfs-filesystem, as mentioned.
17 >
18 > forget LVM with btrfs, it's inside already in a way ;-)
19 >
20 > I use btrfs on at least 3 systems for years now. No problems.
21 >
22 > OK, it gives a bit of a learning curve. One big pool of storage
23 > (depending on how many disks you throw into it), all the subvolumes
24 > share the same free blocks ... this may feel scary and strange at first.
27 When I did try it just that way, it failed completely. I created the
28 structure, except that I put quotas on each of the subvolumes, and then
29 I rsynced the files from my non-btrfs copies which I had to do offline
30 using my grml cd, and when I rebooted back into the new arrangements, it
31 was a mess. I also got advice from their mailing list that I might want
32 separate pools and this is why I was wondering about lvm, since I don't
33 want partitions again.
36 Your life is like a penny. You're going to lose it. The question is:
37 How do
38 you spend it?
39
40 John Covici