From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] btrfs strategies (wasHard drive noise)
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 2015 12:15:30
1 On Sun, Dec 20, 2015 at 6:25 AM, <covici@××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > When I did try it just that way, it failed completely. I created the
4 > structure, except that I put quotas on each of the subvolumes, and then
5 > I rsynced the files from my non-btrfs copies which I had to do offline
6 > using my grml cd, and when I rebooted back into the new arrangements, it
7 > was a mess. I also got advice from their mailing list that I might want
8 > separate pools and this is why I was wondering about lvm, since I don't
9 > want partitions again.
12 I'd probably avoid the quotas for the moment. I believe they were
13 broken in some of the most recent kernels (which is why I've stopped
14 running the most recent kernels on btrfs, I'm sure they'll get it
15 sorted eventually). Unless you REALLY need the quota support I'd just
16 put everything in one big filesystem and not run on top of LVM.
17
18 There are many things that could have gone wrong in your migration.
19 Unless you've identified what exactly it was, you're going to take the
20 risk that by installing LVM you still haven't fixed whatever went
21 wrong the first time, and you'll have less flexibility to address
22 issues in the future.
23
24 But, other than flexibility I don't think there are any issues with
25 using btrfs on top of LVM. If you're using btrfs's raid capabilities
26 then I'd set up a different LVM volume group for each device so that
27 btrfs doesn't inadvertently store redundant copies on the same device.
28 That would be the opposite of how you'd normally use LVM, and just one
29 more reason not to use it.
30
31 Personally, I don't try to use separate filesystems for /var, /usr,
32 and so on. It just fragments your free space and becomes a headache
33 to manage. I could maybe see having a separate filesystem for /usr if
34 it were read-only and signed/verified, or for etc if it was a tmpfs,
35 and so on.
39 Rich