From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] static ip wont connect but dhcp will
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 12:58:40
1 On Friday 12 May 2006 07:27, "Matthew R. Lee" <gentoo@××××××××××.org> wrote
2 about '[gentoo-user] static ip wont connect but dhcp will':
3 > I have my connection set to get an ip using dhcp and this works.
4 >  However if I try to use a static ip, by setting it in /etc/conf.d/net,
5 > it doesn't work, even if I try the ip I have been given by the dhcp
6 > server.
7 > When I run /etc/init.d/net.eth0 start I get green oks for everything,
8 > but trying to ping www.gentoo.org I get the following error,
9 > immediately: ping: unknown host www.gentoo.org
10 >
11 > Any clues as to what's up?
12
13 Can you ping by ip address outside the network? Try pinging these
14 addresses -- they are various google servers near me:
15 64.233.167.104
16 64.233.167.147
17 64.233.167.99
18
19 Your problem sounds like not having a valid /etc/resolv.conf, which a part
20 of the process in resolving names to ip addresses.
21
22 DHCP clients will often write this file based on the information received
23 from the DHCP server, but they often save the old version and put it back
24 into place when they shut down.
27 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
28 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
29 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
30 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh