From: "Matthew R. Lee" <gentoo@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] static ip wont connect but dhcp will
Date: Fri, 12 May 2006 13:26:20
1 On Friday 12 May 2006 08:46, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
2 > On Friday 12 May 2006 07:27, "Matthew R. Lee" <gentoo@××××××××××.org> wrote
3 >
4 > about '[gentoo-user] static ip wont connect but dhcp will':
5 > > I have my connection set to get an ip using dhcp and this works.
6 > >  However if I try to use a static ip, by setting it in /etc/conf.d/net,
7 > > it doesn't work, even if I try the ip I have been given by the dhcp
8 > > server.
9 > > When I run /etc/init.d/net.eth0 start I get green oks for everything,
10 > > but trying to ping www.gentoo.org I get the following error,
11 > > immediately: ping: unknown host www.gentoo.org
12 > >
13 > > Any clues as to what's up?
14 >
15 > Can you ping by ip address outside the network? Try pinging these
16 > addresses -- they are various google servers near me:
17 > 64.233.167.104
18 > 64.233.167.147
19 > 64.233.167.99
20 >
21 > Your problem sounds like not having a valid /etc/resolv.conf, which a part
22 > of the process in resolving names to ip addresses.
23 >
24 > DHCP clients will often write this file based on the information received
25 > from the DHCP server, but they often save the old version and put it back
26 > into place when they shut down.
29 Sorted :-) It was the DNS settings in resolv.conf. I knew it had to be
30 something simple. I couldn't see for looking!
31 Thanks
32 Matt
33 --
34 %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%