From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: Gentoo Users List <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Userspace CPU frequency scaling not available on one machine
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2017 03:13:07
I've cobbled together a script that runs under eselect to list/set
COU speeds/governors on my machines.  I set max speed when I'm using
the machine, and min speed when not.  It has run fine so far, except
recently on an Intel Silvermont machine (64-bit Atom family) running
Gentoo kernel 4.12.12.  Userspace CPU control is not available, even
though I've asked for it under "make menuconfig".  On other machines
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_governors
shows...

conservative userspace ondemand performance

...but on this one machine it only shows...

performance powersave

...so I know it's the machine, not my script, that's the problem.  Note
that I set conservative, performance, powersave, and userspace in the
"make menuconfig" process, and made userspace the default governor.  One
difference I noticed on the Silvermont is CONFIG_X86_INTEL_PSTATE=y
which is the opposite of the machines that things work properly on.  So
I went into "make menuconfig" to try to switch it off, but I get...

    -*-   Intel P state control

  Yes, it is *FORCED* on on that one machine.  Now what?  I'm attaching
/proc/config.gz from the Silvermont in case it helps.  Feel free to
comment on other stuff in config.gz as well.

--
Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>

config.gz application/octet-stream