From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: Gentoo Users List <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] Userspace CPU frequency scaling not available on one machine
Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2017 03:13:07
1 I've cobbled together a script that runs under eselect to list/set
2 COU speeds/governors on my machines. I set max speed when I'm using
3 the machine, and min speed when not. It has run fine so far, except
4 recently on an Intel Silvermont machine (64-bit Atom family) running
5 Gentoo kernel 4.12.12. Userspace CPU control is not available, even
6 though I've asked for it under "make menuconfig". On other machines
7 /sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_available_governors
8 shows...
9
10 conservative userspace ondemand performance
11
12 ...but on this one machine it only shows...
13
14 performance powersave
15
16 ...so I know it's the machine, not my script, that's the problem. Note
17 that I set conservative, performance, powersave, and userspace in the
18 "make menuconfig" process, and made userspace the default governor. One
19 difference I noticed on the Silvermont is CONFIG_X86_INTEL_PSTATE=y
20 which is the opposite of the machines that things work properly on. So
21 I went into "make menuconfig" to try to switch it off, but I get...
22
23 -*- Intel P state control
24
25 Yes, it is *FORCED* on on that one machine. Now what? I'm attaching
26 /proc/config.gz from the Silvermont in case it helps. Feel free to
27 comment on other stuff in config.gz as well.
30 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
31 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications

config.gz application/octet-stream