From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Compiling for an unbooted kernel
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2008 18:51:23
1 On Thursday 09 October 2008 20:37:37 Daniel Pielmeier wrote:
2 > meino.cramer@×××.de schrieb am 09.10.2008 20:25:
3 > > thanks for help. But let me come back to my initial question:
4 > >
5 > > Is it possible to compile the source of the nvidia driver interface
6 > > for a currently compiled but unbooted kernel ?
7 >
8 > Does the nvidia-driver really need the kernel for which it will be
9 > compiled running?
10
11 No.
12
13 Drivers are compiled for the current *configured* kernel.
14
15 The running kernel is utterly and completely irrelevant. The compiler wants
16 linux-headers, a configured set of kernel sources and other bits. Running
17 kernel does not feature in this.
18
19 The *configured* kernel is defined by whatever /usr/src/linux is pointing to.
22 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com