From: Daniel Pielmeier <daniel.pielmeier@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Compiling for an unbooted kernel
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2008 18:37:43
1 meino.cramer@×××.de schrieb am 09.10.2008 20:25:
2 > thanks for help. But let me come back to my initial question:
3 >
4 > Is it possible to compile the source of the nvidia driver interface
5 > for a currently compiled but unbooted kernel ?
6
7 Does the nvidia-driver really need the kernel for which it will be
8 compiled running? I always compile the new kernel, let module-rebuild do
9 it's job and reboot. Never had problems with this. I think it just needs
10 the kernel sources ready for which it will be compiled. This means
11 emerging kernel sources and have the symlink properly set.
12
13 To use a new driver when there is no kernel change without a reboot you
14 just need to stop the X-Server unload and load the nvidia driver and
15 start the X-Server again.
16
17 Regards,
18