From: Mrugesh Karnik <mrugeshkarnik@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] pppoe-status returns the wrong infomation! might be a bug..
Date: Sat, 13 May 2006 17:30:40
1 On Saturday 13 May 2006 15:59, fei huang wrote:
2 > I've configued the rp-pppoe following the updated instruction in
3 > Gentoo Handbook, and my ADSL modem can be brought up at start up ,
4 > however, the pppoe-status always returns message says that the PID
5 > file could not be found (which is definity wrong!). my network was
6 > working of course.. so. I found this issue was caused by the
7 > $PIDFILE which is defined in the /etc/ppp/pppoe.conf and read by
8 > pppoe-status script. but the comment right above that line says:
9 >
10 > # NB: Gentoo overrides PIDFILE when pppoe-start is run from the
11 > # networking scripts. This setting has no effect in that case.
12 >
13 > # below is the original definition
14 > #PIDFILE="/var/run/$CF_BASE-pppoe.pid"
15 >
16 > # Still wrong after I comment out the line above, so I have to change
17 > like this:
18 > PIDFILE="/var/run/rp-pppoe-eth0.pid"
19 >
20 > It works now though, I wonder if this is a small bug, i.e. the
21 > $PIDFILE has never been defined except in the pppoe.conf,
22 > and unfortunately, the only definition is not correct..
23
24 Umm, the instructions in the Handbook point to the method where Gentoo
25 uses the kernel based pppoe rather than rp-pppoe. So rp-pppoe is never
26 active I think.
27
28 I could be wrong.
29 --