From: Paige Thompson <erratic@××××××××××.sx>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] The future of linux, and Gentoo specifically now
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 2014 18:39:13
1 On 11/21/14 07:32, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2 > On Fri, Nov 21, 2014 at 1:17 AM, Paige Thompson <erratic@××××××××××.sx> wrote:
3 >> I just read an article that says systemd is taking over linux and linux
4 >> is not linux anymore:
5 >> http://blog.lusis.org/blog/2014/11/20/systemd-redux/
6 > I highly recommend the article John Corbet wrote for LWN a week ago:
7 >
8 > http://lwn.net/Articles/619992/
9 >
10 > TL;DR, the sky is not falling, let's see how systemd evolves and
11 > succeds, fails, or it's replaced.
12 >
13 >> I kinda have to agree which is partially why I'm not using it. Will
14 >> Gentoo have any plans of forcing its users to move to systemd or will I
15 >> always (such as its always roughly been) have the option of using init
16 >> and openrc as it is now?
17 > As long as there are developers willing and able to support OpenRC in
18 > Gentoo (and it looks like there are), that will be the case. To make
19 > sure that this remains to be true, help them.
20 >
21 > I personally have no reasons currently to
22 >> switch from one to the other. It seems like it might be a great thing if
23 >> you have linux containers.
24 > It's actually a great thing for a lot of use cases. But it doesn't
25 > seem that Gentoo will change defaults soon, although systemd works
26 > great with it.
27 >
28 > Regards.
29 Great article, I should merely point out it's ridiculous that people get
30 so bent out of shape over computer software. It contrasted the
31 transition of devfs to udev well which I can relate to and thought of in
32 my previous response. I was trying to explain I don't really know enough
33 about either systemd or openrc to say whether or not support for one or
34 the other will ever be dropped.
35
36 My deal is I have everything I want setup, it works and I want to leave
37 it that way. I deal with security problems and updates proactively and
38 on a case-by-case and as-per-needed basis. I'm not looking forward to
39 migrating to systemd if I don't need to but I will if that's what it
40 takes to get back to my real work with the peace of mind that I can
41 still install new software if I choose to and actually be able to use it.