From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: USE flags handling
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 2014 16:27:11
1 140731 Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 10:47:29AM +0200, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote
3 > When reading pdf files, one expects images, so tiff and jpeg are
4 > reasonable flags. One does *NOT* expect audio stuff like phonon.
5 > And phonon *DEMANDS SOMETHING*. vlc is one of the options that satisfies
6 > phonon's demands. Or you could choose gstreamer and its gazillion plugins.
7
8 Not quite (smile) ! -- I ran into this & sent bugs to Gentoo + KDE ;
9 the outcome was that I discovered that Phonon doesn't in fact demand
10 that you install the actual sound software :
11 it works to do 'USE="gstreamer" --nodeps emerge phonon'
12 & Kdelibs then compiles successfully as well.
13
14 If you compile KDE outside Portage, there's a "nosound" flag,
15 but the Gentoo devs have implemented that to require 'USE=<soundpkg>",
16 perhaps knowing that it cb happily ignored via '--nodeps'.
17 Just don't expect this to be documented anywere (grimace).
21 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
22 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
23 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca