From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: USE flags handling
Date: Sat, 02 Aug 2014 13:35:49
1 On Friday, August 01, 2014 12:26:59 PM Philip Webb wrote:
2 > 140731 Walter Dnes wrote:
3 > > On Thu, Jul 31, 2014 at 10:47:29AM +0200, Volker Armin Hemmann
4 wrote
5 > > When reading pdf files, one expects images, so tiff and jpeg are
6 > > reasonable flags. One does *NOT* expect audio stuff like phonon.
7 > > And phonon *DEMANDS SOMETHING*. vlc is one of the options that
8 satisfies
9 > > phonon's demands. Or you could choose gstreamer and its gazillion
10 > > plugins.
11 >
12 > Not quite (smile) ! -- I ran into this & sent bugs to Gentoo + KDE ;
13 > the outcome was that I discovered that Phonon doesn't in fact demand
14 > that you install the actual sound software :
15 > it works to do 'USE="gstreamer" --nodeps emerge phonon'
16 > & Kdelibs then compiles successfully as well.
17 >
18 > If you compile KDE outside Portage, there's a "nosound" flag,
19 > but the Gentoo devs have implemented that to require
20 'USE=<soundpkg>",
21 > perhaps knowing that it cb happily ignored via '--nodeps'.
22 > Just don't expect this to be documented anywere (grimace).
23
24 Do you still have the bug numbers for this?
25 I have a few machines without any sound support. If I can remove the
26 entire sound system from it, it would save time during the updates.
29 Joost