From: James Ausmus <james.ausmus@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: kernel heat warnings at low temps
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 17:07:59
1 On 6/26/07, reader@×××××××.com <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org> writes:
3 >
4 > [...]
5 >
6 > > What has the hdd temp to do with cpu tmeprature?
7 >
8 > [...]
9 >
10 > > hddtemp and cputemp are completly and totally unrelated.
11 >
12 > [...]
13 >
14 > First ... thanks for the other tips..
15 >
16 > I think you fellows may have this a bit wrong. I have three video
17 > editing desktops all running win xp. On them I use a piece of
18 > software called `Hardware sensors monitor' or Hmonitor.
19 >
20 > I've noticed over time (mnths) that when the cpu gets hot, the hdd are
21 > also at elevated temps. Maybe not critical but well above where the
22 > run normally.
23 >
24 > This is on three different midtower boxes, so I have surmized that
25 > although the heating of cpu may not be related mechanically to hdd
26 > temp, in fact they rise and fall together due probably to close
27 > proximity and being contained in same box.
28 >
29 > I realize this is not a definitive experiment but for my uses it does
30 > work like that.
31
32 Just as a note on a possible explanation for your observations in your
33 Windows boxes:
34
35 Most likely (CMIIW), when you notice the CPU and HDD temps rise, you
36 are actively doing video editing - a CPU and memory *and* hard drive
37 intensive task. When hard drives are "driven hard", they heat up. When
38 CPU's are "driven hard", they heat up. If the computers main
39 functionality is a task that tends to "drive hard" both the CPU and
40 the hard drive, then yes, you will see a correspondence in the CPU/HDD
41 temperature patterns. However, this does not mean that you *cannot*
42 drive the CPU hard without driving the HDD hard, and vice versa - just
43 because the are both being driven hard when you do video editing does
44 not mean that they are inextricably linked to each other in workload
45 and temperature profile.
46
47 What operations are being performed on your Gentoo box when you see
48 these CPU temperature warnings?
49
50 -James
54 > --