From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Re: Re: Home Network Printing
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 13:39:58
1 Mick schreef:
2 > Richard Fish wrote:
5 >> On 11/30/05, brettholcomb@×××××××××.net
6 >> <brettholcomb@×××××××××.net> wrote:
7 >>
8 >>> Are you running cups?
9 >>
10 >> And if so, post the output of:
11 >>
12 >> grep -v "^#" /etc/cups/cupsd.conf | grep -v "^$"
13 >>
14 >> for both systems.
17 > Thanks Richard, this is what I get from box 1 (this is the client):
18 > =========================
19 <snip>
20 > Order Deny,Allow
21
22 > Deny From All Allow
23
24 > From 127.0.0.1
25
26 <snip>
27
28 > Allow From 127.0.0.1
29
30 </Location>
31
32 =========================
37 > This is what I get from host 2 (the server):
38
39 > =========================
40
41 <snip>
42
43 > Order Deny,Allow
44
45 > Deny From All
46
47 > Allow From 127.0.0.1
48
49 > Allow From 192.168.0.2
50
51 > </Location>
52
53 > <Location /printers>
54
55 > Order Deny,Allow
56
57 > Deny From All
58
59 > Allow From 127.0.0.1
60
61 > Allow From 192.168.0.2
62
63 <snip>
64
65 > Any wrong entries?
66
67 What I see is:
68
69 I assume the printer is connected to the server--- but the server only
70 allows connections from localhost (itself), and 192.168.0.2.
71
72 If 192.168.0.2 is not the network IP address of the client (host 1),
73 then the connection is denied.
74
75 If the printer is connected to host 1... well, that only allows
76 connections from localhost (itself). Connections from everywhere else
77 are refused.
78
79 So what I would suggest is that the server allow connections from the
80 network as a whole, or the specific network IPs of the various networked
81 clients.
82
83 According to the well-commented cupsd.conf file:
84
85 # Allow: allows access from the specified hostname, domain, IP address,
86 # network, or interface.
87 #
88 # Deny: denies access from the specified hostname, domain, IP address,
89 # network, or interface.
90 #
91 # Both "Allow" and "Deny" accept the following notations for addresses:
92 #
93 # All
94 # None
95 # *.domain.com
96 # .domain.com
97 # host.domain.com
98 # nnn.*
99 # nnn.nnn.*
100 # nnn.nnn.nnn.*
101 # nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn
102 # nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn/mm
103 # nnn.nnn.nnn.nnn/mmm.mmm.mmm.mmm
104 # @LOCAL
105 # @IF(name)
106 #
107 # The host and domain address require that you enable hostname lookups
108 # with "HostNameLookups On" above.
109 #
110 # The @LOCAL address allows or denies from all non point-to-point
111 # interfaces. For example, if you have a LAN and a dial-up link,
112 # @LOCAL could allow connections from the LAN but not from the dial-up
113 # link. Similarly, the @IF(name) address allows or denies from the
114 # named network interface, e.g. @IF(eth0) under Linux. Interfaces are
115 # refreshed automatically (no more than once every 60 seconds), so
116 # they can be used on dynamically-configured interfaces, e.g. PPP,
117 # 802.11, etc.
118 #
119
120 So if you have more than one machine on the network, you might consider
121 changing the "Allow From" statements to read something like
124 Allow From 192.168.0.*
125
126 (assuming that your network mask is 192.168.0. , which it may not be).
127 Modify for your actual network configuration.
128
129 Sorry, I use Samba to connect to the network printer, as it's connected
130 to a Windows box, so I can't help much more. Hope this is helpful though.
131
132 Holly
137 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list