From: Michael Kintzios <michaelkintzios@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] Home Network Printing
Date: Thu, 01 Dec 2005 14:44:33
1 Thank you Holly,
2
3 > -----Original Message-----
4 > From: Holly Bostick [mailto:motub@××××××.nl]
5 > Sent: 01 December 2005 13:33
6 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
7 > Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Re: Re: Home Network Printing
8 >
9 [snip]
10 >
11 > What I see is:
12 >
13 > I assume the printer is connected to the server--- but the server only
14 > allows connections from localhost (itself), and 192.168.0.2.
15
16 Yes on all counts.
17
18 > If 192.168.0.2 is not the network IP address of the client (host 1),
19 > then the connection is denied.
20
21 192.168.0.2 is the LAN address of the client (host 1).
22
23 > If the printer is connected to host 1... well, that only allows
24 > connections from localhost (itself). Connections from everywhere else
25 > are refused.
26
27 The printer is physically connected to host 2 which acts as the server
28 with IP address 102.168.0.3
29
30 > So what I would suggest is that the server allow connections from the
31 > network as a whole, or the specific network IPs of the
32 > various networked
33 > clients.
34 >
35 [snip]
36 >
37 > So if you have more than one machine on the network, you
38 > might consider
39 > changing the "Allow From" statements to read something like
40 >
41 > Allow From 192.168.0.*
42
43 Each machine has only one NIC which connects them to the
44 router/LAN/Internet. The router (netgear ADSL thingy) is 192.168.0.1
45 and acts both as the Internet gateway and the DNS for the machines on
46 the LAN. I would rather allow access to explicit IP addresses, in this
47 case 192.168.0.2 which is the client.
48
49 Thanks for the heads up on the "HostNameLookups On". I'll try it
50 tonight - although setting the IP address would remove one more thing
51 for me to get wrong. ;-)
52 --
53 Regards,
54 Mick