From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT: btrfs raid 5/6
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2017 20:02:51
1 On 07/12/17 14:53, Frank Steinmetzger wrote:
2 > When I configured my kernel the other day, I discovered network block
3 > devices as an option. My PC has a hotswap bay[0]. Problem solved. :) Then I
4 > can do zpool replace with the drive-to-be-replaced still in the pool, which
5 > improves resilver read distribution and thus lessens the probability of a
6 > failure cascade.
7
8 Or with mdadm, there's "mdadm --replace". If you want to swap a drive
9 (rather than replace a failed drive), this both preserves redundancy and
10 reduces the stress on the array by doing disk-to-disk copy rather than
11 recalculating the new disk.
12
13 Cheers,
14 Wol