From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: preferred editor
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2009 20:33:37
1 2009/10/4 Jesús Guerrero <i92guboj@×××××.es>:
2 > On Sun, 4 Oct 2009 01:22:47 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards
3 > <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> On 2009-10-03, Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
5 >>>
6 >>> On 2 Oct 2009, at 17:16, Grant Edwards wrote:
7 >>>> ...
8 >>>> I don't like nano much either -- I find it rather clumsy, but
9 >>>> at least it seems to be "safe".  It doesn't trash my file every
10 >>>> 30 seconds when I start typing content while in command mode.
11 >>>> Honestly -- I've used vi infrequently but regularly (probably
12 >>>> several times a month) for decades, and my brain just doesn't
13 >>>> work the way vi does.
14 >>>
15 >>> What editor do you prefer, then?
16 >>
17 >> I'm an emacs guy.  I've been using emacs (or various clones
18 >> such as jove and jed) for 25 years now.
19 >>
20 >>> IIRC when I was at uni (c 2000) one of the TA's suggested Joe
21 >>> as an alternative to the traditional Unix editors. I have been
22 >>> making a little effort in the last year or two to come to
23 >>> grips with vi or vim, and am starting to prefer it, but ISTM
24 >>> that the problem with traditional Unix editors (i.e. vi &
25 >>> emacs) is that they depend upon learning obscure keyboard
26 >>> shortcuts.
27 >>
28 >> I don't have any problem learning keystrokes.  I do have
29 >> problems with vi's modality.
30 >
31 > That's just one of the things I dislike about vi and all the vi clones out
32 > there. To me it is like the difference between edit to live and live to
33 > edit. It's a good editor and I respect people who like and use vi, but I
34 > refuse to use it unless there's absolutely no other option.
37 I've been using vi (or vim, where available) for a few years, and I
38 really like some of the features. What I like most is the double mode
39 (command and edit). I find it really easy to use and saves me a lot of
40 time. But I'm pretty sure that's just because I didn't bother learning
41 any other editor (like emacs), and vi can be found at almost ALL linux
42 distros I've come across in the last few years...
43
44 It's a matter of taste. Some may argue about that (completely
45 pointless), and that just proves that's useless. You like it, you use
46 it, advocate it, but never impose it.
49 Daniel da Veiga