From: "Jesús Guerrero" <i92guboj@×××××.es>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: preferred editor
Date: Sun, 04 Oct 2009 23:37:22
1 On Sun, 4 Oct 2009 01:22:47 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards
2 <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > On 2009-10-03, Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
4 >>
5 >> On 2 Oct 2009, at 17:16, Grant Edwards wrote:
6 >>> ...
7 >>> I don't like nano much either -- I find it rather clumsy, but
8 >>> at least it seems to be "safe". It doesn't trash my file every
9 >>> 30 seconds when I start typing content while in command mode.
10 >>> Honestly -- I've used vi infrequently but regularly (probably
11 >>> several times a month) for decades, and my brain just doesn't
12 >>> work the way vi does.
13 >>
14 >> What editor do you prefer, then?
15 >
16 > I'm an emacs guy. I've been using emacs (or various clones
17 > such as jove and jed) for 25 years now.
18 >
19 >> IIRC when I was at uni (c 2000) one of the TA's suggested Joe
20 >> as an alternative to the traditional Unix editors. I have been
21 >> making a little effort in the last year or two to come to
22 >> grips with vi or vim, and am starting to prefer it, but ISTM
23 >> that the problem with traditional Unix editors (i.e. vi &
24 >> emacs) is that they depend upon learning obscure keyboard
25 >> shortcuts.
26 >
27 > I don't have any problem learning keystrokes. I do have
28 > problems with vi's modality.
29
30 That's just one of the things I dislike about vi and all the vi clones out
31 there. To me it is like the difference between edit to live and live to
32 edit. It's a good editor and I respect people who like and use vi, but I
33 refuse to use it unless there's absolutely no other option.
36 Jesús Guerrero