From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: preferred editor
Date: Sun, 04 Oct 2009 01:23:15
1 On 2009-10-03, Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 2 Oct 2009, at 17:16, Grant Edwards wrote:
4 >> ...
5 >> I don't like nano much either -- I find it rather clumsy, but
6 >> at least it seems to be "safe". It doesn't trash my file every
7 >> 30 seconds when I start typing content while in command mode.
8 >> Honestly -- I've used vi infrequently but regularly (probably
9 >> several times a month) for decades, and my brain just doesn't
10 >> work the way vi does.
11 >
12 > What editor do you prefer, then?
13
14 I'm an emacs guy. I've been using emacs (or various clones
15 such as jove and jed) for 25 years now.
16
17 > IIRC when I was at uni (c 2000) one of the TA's suggested Joe
18 > as an alternative to the traditional Unix editors. I have been
19 > making a little effort in the last year or two to come to
20 > grips with vi or vim, and am starting to prefer it, but ISTM
21 > that the problem with traditional Unix editors (i.e. vi &
22 > emacs) is that they depend upon learning obscure keyboard
23 > shortcuts.
24
25 I don't have any problem learning keystrokes. I do have
26 problems with vi's modality.
29 Grant