From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: preferred editor
Date: Sat, 03 Oct 2009 10:28:43
1 On 2 Oct 2009, at 17:16, Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > ...
3 > I don't like nano much either -- I find it rather clumsy, but
4 > at least it seems to be "safe". It doesn't trash my file every
5 > 30 seconds when I start typing content while in command mode.
6 > Honestly -- I've used vi infrequently but regularly (probably
7 > several times a month) for decades, and my brain just doesn't
8 > work the way vi does.
9
10 What editor do you prefer, then?
11
12 IIRC when I was at uni (c 2000) one of the TA's suggested Joe as an
13 alternative to the traditional Unix editors. I have been making a
14 little effort in the last year or two to come to grips with vi or vim,
15 and am starting to prefer it, but ISTM that the problem with
16 traditional Unix editors (i.e. vi & emacs) is that they depend upon
17 learning obscure keyboard shortcuts. ISTM the problem with pcio / nano
18 is that advanced users find it too simplistic.
19
20 I have this notion - can't be arsed to confirm this, disprove it or
21 find additional information with Google right now - that Joe was
22 developed to overcome this above problems.
23
24 Stroller.