From: Leslie Turriff <jlturriff@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: preferred editor
Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2009 22:58:12
1 On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 5:28 AM, Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>wrote:
4 > IIRC when I was at uni (c 2000) one of the TA's suggested Joe as an
5 > alternative to the traditional Unix editors. I have been making a little
6 > effort in the last year or two to come to grips with vi or vim, and am
7 > starting to prefer it, but ISTM that the problem with traditional Unix
8 > editors (i.e. vi & emacs) is that they depend upon learning obscure keyboard
9 > shortcuts. ISTM the problem with pcio / nano is that advanced users find it
10 > too simplistic.
11 >
12 > Stroller.
13 >
14 > I encourage anyone who, like me, struggles with those arcane and
15 nonintuitive keyboard codes to take a look at Blair Thompson's X2
16 Programmer's Editor <http://www.tangbu.com/x2main.shtml>, which, while it
17 does come configured with a plethora of such codes, allows them to be
18 redefined via a simple configuration file. It has easily remembered
19 sequences for the most usual operations (mark line, mark block, move, copy)
20 and powerful command-mode commands which are not cluttered with the usual
21 escape sequence requirements.
22
23 Give it a try.
24